Thursday, September 2, 2010

family

I haven't written for such a long time. I think there has been a restlessness in me. I have not been still for a long time.

I listen to the Avett Brothers a whole lot these days. They sing to my soul and it speaks to me. Not too long ago I heard this song for the first time, "Murder In the City," and I was excited to hear someone sing a song to their family in case they were to die unexpectedly. Excited may not seem like the appropriate word, but I felt this because I too have desires to share with my family my wishes if I happen to die unexpectedly. Ha, I guess this might seem to be a morbid post of sorts.

The thing is, just as in the lyrics of this song, "no need to get alarmed, I'm coming home." I feel so abundantly blessed and rich in my life that if it should be my time, I would be ready to go. I guess since it isn't my time, not right now anyway, I should live this line "always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name," in it's truth.

Family. We didn't choose our family. God chose them for us. They are a gift. Sometimes family can be burdensome. Sometimes people reject the gift, sometimes people refuse to be the gift to their family, but it is undeniable that we are all called to share our name during our earthly life for a reason. There have been many times in my short 23 years of life that I have wanted to reject the gift of family, because I didn't understand it, it seemed to be too much work to be in relationship with so many people. I didn't realize and sometimes forget that I need them to remind me that I've been called to be a gift, and they need me to do the same.

Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name.

1 comment: